Saturday, September 4, 2010

Chemo 6

With some trepidation we decided to go ahead with my 6th round of chemo this week. On Monday my blood work showed that I was ready, but Dr M left it up me to decide if I felt strong enough to face the extra pain and fatigue on top of residual post operation complications.

We went to PMH early on Wednesday, but because I am having plumbing problems right now,chemo was put off for a couple of hours till I was given the green light by another doctor, worried that I might have some sort of bowel obstruction - I didn't. But it gave us time to play a rousing game of Quiddler before the poisons arrived. Finding a vein that would accept the line without collapsing proved to be another challenge, and after three tries was finally successful, and then followed a rather boring 6 hours of drips. An interesting aside was that with my nephrostomy bags, I was able to stay in bed for the whole 8 hours, emptying them straight into a urinal - no more dragging the drip pole to the washroom and back. I was a bit wobbly and sore when my treatment was over from not having moved around enough, and so I waited in the hospital lobby for Eric to pick up my brother Rick from the bus station and return to collect me for the trip home.

High on steroids, my day two was the best day I've had in a month. I was energized, pain free and got so much done in the house and garden. Now in day 4, I am back to the normal routine of tiredness and discomfort, but should be feeling considerably better by the first of the week. It is lovely to be surrounded by my men-folk.

We are feeling the effects of Hurricane Earl today - the temperature dropped by quite a bit overnight and rain clouds scud by overhead and branches have blown off the trees. The Labor Day air show has been cancelled today, due to high winds - a feeling of Fall in the air.

4 comments:

Zeno said...

You rock mama!

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne,
So glad you are home and getting better. Sending positive vibes from SoCal.
Maureen

MARIANO said...

Hello, Anne!
Gotta agree with Eric: you absolutely ROCK!
Loads of hugs and good vibes from sunny Flekke.
Mariano

Charlotte said...

Hi Anne,
I've just been catching up on your news after much catching up about all things UWCAD with Eva last weekend - We got through two years' of gossip in four days straight.
It sounds like you've been having a pretty shitty time. You are a woman and a half Mrs G and I'm sending you my thoughts and love. Charlotte xx
PS Say hi to JP from me and tell him I heard all about the faculty frolics that almost were this year. Those pesky students!

My New Boubou

My New Boubou
Boubou with handy pocket

Getting better

Getting better
Wilson and Me

Due to Popular Demand

Due to Popular Demand
I'm a Redhead

I still love my chemotherapy

I still love my chemotherapy
Who needs hair anyway?

I love my chemotherapy

I love my chemotherapy
walking to Princess Margaret