Friday, March 12, 2010

I love my chemotherapy

Wednesday, March 10th, I am finally ready to begin my chemotherapy treatment. We arrive at Princess Margaret Hospital at 8:30, I sign in and am installed in a hospital bed at the end of one of the long corridors, separated from a row of beds by curtains that can be drawn for privacy. Luckily, there is a back door to the waiting room near my bed, and we are at the end of the line, so Miriam and JP are tolerated to stay with me in spite of a one-visitor at a time regulation.

As a first-timer, I spent 8 hours there, hooked up to a drip that alternated between saline solution to flush the system and actual medication. Besides cortisone, benadryl and anti-nausea drips, the actual medications that I was given were paclitaxel and carboplatin.

We won't know for several weeks whether treatment is working, but at least the 8 hours were a painless, almost fun event. JP, Miriam and I played cards, met with a nutritionist, chatted, and while I slept after a benadryl drip, the other two explored the hospital and brought me goodies to eat. I had absolutely no reaction to anything except the benadryl, which made me high as a kite and then knocked me out for a half hour or so.

Miriam has booked me in for a "Look Good, Feel Better" workshop next week where I will learn how to paint on eyebrows and otherwise use makeup to help disguise the ravages of chemo - I can't wait to learn some tricks of the trade that totally flew over my head when I was a teenager. She also got me on a waitlist for a "Head Wrap" workshop that will show me how to cover my balding head in glamorous ways. On my own I have perfected three looks: Mother Theresa, Aunt Jemima and babushka. I need help!

2 comments:

Jed said...

I'm glad the first session was easy, Anne.

On the topic of hair, a friend from college in a similar position last year decided to throw a head-shaving party. Her name is Tabby Bushill, so the natural title for the event was "Shave the Bush":
https://www.bmycharity.com/V2/shavethebush

I'm glad you've set up this blog.

Sending you love,

Jed

Wincy said...

Anne, just saw JP's post on Facebook - sorry to hear about that, but I'm sure with your positive energy and all the positive thoughts sent your way by all the UWCers through the years, you'll take this in stride. :) A big hug to JP and Miriam - I'm sure they need some TLC too.

The coming months might be difficult at times, but I'm constantly reminded by my old boss of her courage in dealing with Hodgkin's - here's a woman who kept working through chemo, and now a year in remission and living her life to the fullest. Us gals are planning a trip to Vegas to celebrate her 40th Big Day to, in her own words, "skank it up". So, fancy going to Vegas some time soon, Anne? Count me in! :)

Sending you lots of love and hugs, also some virtual banana bread (not as good as yours, obviously). I'll be following your progress on the blog.

- Wincy

My New Boubou

My New Boubou
Boubou with handy pocket

Getting better

Getting better
Wilson and Me

Due to Popular Demand

Due to Popular Demand
I'm a Redhead

I still love my chemotherapy

I still love my chemotherapy
Who needs hair anyway?

I love my chemotherapy

I love my chemotherapy
walking to Princess Margaret