Tuesday, April 20, 2010

True Blood

Yesterday was blood day at Princess Margaret Hospital. I had a later than usual appointment, and the waiting room was overflowing with people. The lady who finally drew my blood was talented, finding a vein at first try, but she said that I would have a large bruise. Waiting to see my oncologist afterwards, we saw that there was a large backlog there too, and it was an hour or so before we were called in. Dr M was not available, so we saw Dr D instead, who gave me a thumbs-up for chemo 3 on Wednesday.

I found out about CA 125, a marker in the blood for some ovarian or peritoneal cancers. Mine has come down from a serious 1,989 on March 2, before I began chemo, to a still serious 1,237 after that chemo on March 29. The results from chemo 2 were not ready yet, but I have to stay positive that it is still coming down - normal is anything below 35! Before leaving the hospital, we went up to Chemo Daycare to visit with the mother of Eric's friend who has the same symptoms and diagnosis as I, but who is one chemo behind me in treatment. It is good to speak with someone who is going through the same wringer as I. She still has her hair, and she is amazingly still working!

Today is another gorgeous day. My sore throat is gone, so on today's list is walk to Queen Street for coffee with some old friends, paint some more garage, give myself a pedicure, mess around in the garden, and a shopping run to Costco.

1 comment:

jacques Monnet said...

Dear Ann, mais la suite sera en français. Juste pour te confirmer que tu as raison de dire que nous appartenons désormais à un monde où les autres ne peuvent entrer. J'en ai fait l'expérience, c'est saisissant. La compréhension est tout autre. Quelque soit le verdict, l'échéance, nous avons tous alors en commun des sensations et sentiments, bien sûr des préoccupations à nulle autre pareille. L'important devient différent. Nous sommes capables d'être du monde des bien portants, ils ne peuvent encore vivre dans celui des malades du cancer.
Tu sais que tu peux m'écrire quand tu veux (cj.monnet@wanadoo.fr)et que je te répondrais toujours. Ton courage est admirable, ta force mentale essentielle. Amitiés et bises. Jacques.

My New Boubou

My New Boubou
Boubou with handy pocket

Getting better

Getting better
Wilson and Me

Due to Popular Demand

Due to Popular Demand
I'm a Redhead

I still love my chemotherapy

I still love my chemotherapy
Who needs hair anyway?

I love my chemotherapy

I love my chemotherapy
walking to Princess Margaret